My 1st Sonogram [12/14/15]

(Back to main page of pregnancy blog)

After my colposcopy, my doctor said that I could schedule my first sonogram anytime after. The colposcopy doesn’t affect the results of the sonogram. After I schedule it I received a call from the hospital reminding me of my appointment and letting me know what I need to do before I go. So I had to drink 24oz of water 1 hour prior to the appointment. Of course, I researched online what others had to do and some had to drink 32oz. And I thought 24oz was already a lot. I didn’t really research too much so I thought that I had to not pee for the whole appointment. Before the appointment I was slowly drinking a bottle and a half of Deer Park so as not to throw up before I have to go in. I was so full by the time I went in for my appointment. You know what’s even worse? Sitting down for a long time and then standing up. That made me feel soooooo much worse. I felt like my bladder was about to burst. I was seriously afraid that my bladder would explode. I had to walk up to the desk to give them my information and then walk back out to the waiting room to wait for the sonogram technician to call me. I don’t even remember how long I had to wait but it seemed like an eternity. I had to do controlled breathing because it was so painful. When the technician finally called me, I couldn’t even stand up properly. I must have looked like I was in labor….or just insane.

When I was in the room she told me to lay down on the bed and that she would take a look for a few minutes before I could pee. I was super relieved when she said that because I really thought I was going to lay there for a long time. I was trying so hard not to pee when she was pushing on my belly with the sonogram transducer (the thing she puts the water soluble gel on so she can see the baby). I even brought an extra pair of underwear just in case. When she took a look at my belly, she told me that my bladder was stretched out and we saw the baby squished next to it. Apparently when they said to drink 24oz, it doesn’t really meant that you need to drink that much. Next time I will only drink about 1 bottle of Deer Park. I don’t ever want to feel like that again or squish my baby again.

After peeing I felt so much better and was able to concentrate on the image that was on the screen. The appointment took about an hour or a little more than an hour. She made sure that she could see and measure every part of the baby. I was at about 8.5 weeks at this point so she couldn’t really get a good 4D image of the baby. Once the baby is bigger, we’ll be able to see better. It was so nice to finally see the baby moving. We were so excited to see her kicking and moving all over the place. I don’t remember if I’ve mentioned it yet, but we found out that the baby is a girl! The technician checked twice and she told us that she was positive that it is a girl. Although she did say that she was 80% certain afterwards just in case for some weird reason that it’s actually a boy.

Now all I have to do is make an appointment 4 weeks from now and get another sonogram done.

(Back to main page of pregnancy blog)